Tuesday 11 June 2013

Three is a stressful number


'Three is a Stressful Number', was a recent topic on an online parenting portal about life with three children.
I dropped everything I was doing and devoted the little free time I had to reading this article.

My initial reaction after reading it was that I am doomed because I have three kids! This doesn't bode well for my sanity, so I began devising a plan to tell my husband that we needed another child. You see, I knew he would disagree with me. This is because during my last pregnancy, I wasn't one of those 'sassy', 'stylish' and had-it-all-together pregnant ladies. I was more of a slob and full of complaints.-"Ohhhhh why did you get me pregnant?! When is this baby coming out of me?! I can't cook and function when I am like this! Leave me alone!" (the list of complaints was inexhaustible).


Everything changed once I had my little princess in my arms. In fact, I have never been calmer before. 
I guess three's a charm because I am more laid back and don't fuss over every small detail like I used to. I must admit that it took a while for me to get where I am now. 

When I first returned home with my newborn, it was tough because it was the start of school term. My 2nd princess, who had just graduated from her pre-school was to start her primary level. Luckily for me, she didn't require much from me to get ready for school. I think this has a lot to do with her independent character. It took some adjusting and life with three kids got better with every passing day.

Before baby #3:

  • I used to peel and cut grapes into quarters but nowadays it's, "the skin is good and full of nutrients".
  • I used to diligently cook up a storm and store these special baby purees in the freezer but nowadays she eats what I eat and sometimes I turn to my back-up baby food supply (which I have had to replenish many times) 
  • It was like clock works, ensuring she is fed the right amount and at the right time but nowadays she decides what she wants and when she wants to eat (luckily for me she snacks a lot on dried and fresh fruits).
With baby #3

  • I didn't bother getting a baby cot and opted to share my bed with her (oh! the pleasures of bed-sharing)
  • I managed to exclusively breastfeed her, so there was no more fussing over sterilising the bottles and getting up in the middle of the night, working like a lab assistant-measuring the right amount of water and carefully scooping the formula into the bottle. Making sure it's not too warm and the teats were in good working condition. 
  • I rediscovered the joys of babywearing and it is truly beneficial because baby #3 is very calm and a fuss free child.

So, to say that 3 is a stressful number may not be entirely true for me.


After having baby #3, I have never yearned for another baby like I do now but I think I am done with being pregnant again.



This article was featured in Parenthots



Lets get connected:

Now you can follow me by email (fill email address here) to get new post notifications delivered directly into your mailbox or you could follow my Facebook page Life Simplified to get more recipes and tips in making life a little more laid back or we can connect via twitter.


Thank you for stopping by at A cuppa for my thoughts





Linking with Writing, Wishing and These little waves for Memories Captured


13 comments:

  1. Aww isn't she stinking cute? So adorable!
    As a mother to one, this post is just, well makes me yearn for another baby too ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maureen, I secretly yearn for one too, which would make it four! Babies are made fantastic by God!

      Delete
  2. We just become more relaxed naturally with subsequent babies, don't they? My second one also eats what I eat, I don't worry as much about all the other stuff I did with the first one - and he's just fine. :)

    Thanks for linking up with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was still very uptight when baby #2 arrived. Still very fussy and always ensuring everything was perfect! All that changed only with the arrival of baby #3. Now, I am.more laid back.

      Delete
  3. She is so cute. I only have one, so I can't compare - but I do know what you mean about not wanting to do the pregnancy thing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha. I hear you. The worst part of it all was the heart burns and how everything I ate left a horrible after taste.

      Delete
  4. Love this - so very much!

    (Three is perfect for me, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your no 3 is so cute! I guess life after more than 1 baby is somehow more relaxing huh :-) we stop sweating little stuff anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I only stopped sweating when #3 arrived. Before that I was terrible. I remember days when I did not have a chance to have breakfast and it was already lunch time! Gone are those days, phew...

      Delete
  6. Three sounds stressful to me, as I stopped at two, but your #3 is a doll! And you killed me with the peeling grapes thing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If that killed you, what would cutting a tiny blueberries into quarters would do? I don't do that because my #3 has mastared the art of chewing but I read about it in another mama's blog ;)

      Delete
  7. Love reading your thoughts..two is perfect...one of each..I enjoyed ny pregnancy n birth thoroughly...I sometimes miss being pregnant..it makes me so calm..hmmm, no..no more kids...Jodh is turning 16 nxt week n Jeevan is 9

    God is great for blessing us with two healthy beautiful kids :-)
    You are a Superwoman..thts what you are..Tabib!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Superwoman, I am not. I am just learning to survive. I wish I was a calmer person. I am learning to be, and my kids are the one teaching me to be that. :)

      Delete