Tuesday 29 July 2014

Silky smooth steamed eggs

The debate whether eggs are good or bad is over, at least in my house. We are no longer counting the number of eggs we consumed over the week. Nowadays, it's eggs on demand - I cook it whenever someone feels like eating it. And if you are not a fan of meat, eggs are a good source of protein.

Eggs are not only quintessential breakfast, it can be served at lunch, dinner or even at tea time (if you want a filling snack).

There are many ways to prepare eggs - boiled, poached, scrambled, baked and steamed.
I like steamed egg whenever I run out of fresh vegetables or need a quick and nourishing dish. It's not hard to make steamed eggs, just like it's not hard to scramble or boil eggs. But to achieve a silky, satiny and smooth, almost tau-fu-fa (soya custard) like texture was tricky - it would sometimes turn out lumpy, too watery or hard, but not anymore. It's silky smooth, steamed eggs every time now thanks to my mom-in-law's recipe.

There are only two basic ingredients to make steamed eggs - eggs and water. The success depends on the amount of water used when making it. Get that wrong and you will end up with lumpy or watery steamed egg which is not too bad but it isn't pleasant either (if you are used to eating smooth steamed eggs, all the time). 
Luckily, I have found a fool proof method/recipe, which has worked every time.
All you need to remember is to follow this ratio every time you make steamed eggs: 1 egg to 3 parts water from halved egg shell - the correct mathematical ratio would be 1 part egg : 1.5 water.

I made a big batch of steamed eggs using 4 eggs, some water, spring onions, fried garlic and salt. I added all these ingredients before steaming it. But I will share with you, recipe for 2 eggs.


Ingredients


2 eggs
Cooled boiler water - 6 parts of halved egg shell
For garnish Sesame seed oil
Soy sauce

 

Steps 

Get your steamer ready - add about an inch or two water and let it boil.
Crack eggs into bowl. Put 6 parts of water using the halved shell and whisk it. Sieve it into your ceramic bowl and transfer this bowl into your steamer. You could remove the bubbles on your egg mixture using a spoon but I find it to be time consuming. Sieving is a better and quicker option because it will ensure nothing foreign - like egg shell - will be in your steamed eggs.


Cover the bowl and steam for 15 minutes or more. It is ready when the mixture looks like custard and is a little wobbly when you shake it.

Carefully remove the bowl and dribble some sesame seed oil and soya sauce on it. You may also top it with some fried shallots or garlic, spring onions, shrimps, shredded chicken or anything you fancy.





Once you have mastered preparing plain custard-like steamed eggs you can start adding ingredients into the mixture itself, before steaming it. Here are some suggestions:
Crab stick (thinly sliced), Prawns (chopped), Spring onions, Mushrooms, Chicken
For more recipes, please head over to my Recipes page




Thank you for stopping by at A cuppa for my thoughts

Lets get connected:

















5 comments:

  1. I never had heard of steamed eggs before seeing your recipe. They look really good. I like my eggs with veggies (and sometimes meat) so this looks like a great recipe to try! Thanks for sharing it with us at Foodie Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! This is a traditional Chinese dish, just like silken steamed tofu. Both are packed with protein and are usually served as a side dish. Do let me know how it turned out for you if you decide to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of steamed eggs, but this looks delicious! I can't wait to try it. They just look so ... interesting! Not like a frittata or a quiche, or even scrabled! Just, totally different from anything I've seen. LOVE this! Thanks for sharing at #FoodieFridays

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes it is and we love it because it is light and silky smooth, almost custard pudding like.

      Delete
  4. I made steamed eggs once a month ago. And that was for our daughter. I should make it more often since she liked it so much.

    ReplyDelete