Sunday 31 May 2015

Almost Single by Advaita Kala

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors and, the most patient of teachers" Charles William Elliot
  
I love this quote as it truly describes how I feel about books; books are not judgemental and will never be mad when left unattended.

My last long affair with books came to an abrupt end after the birth of my youngest which was almost three years ago. As I am more settled so did my quest for great books. To help me speed up to pace, I joined a local book club. I am glad I did and the rest is history.

So what do you do with a cupboard full of dusty read books and a low budget for books? Join a local book club and take part in their monthly or quarterly meet-ups. These clubs are a good platform for you to swap away your read books in exchange for some new ones.
I went for my first meet with a box full of books and returned with new interesting reads. It was fun meeting like-minded people and when I saw another copy of a book from my stash, it opened up a whole new chapter for discussion. Connecting with people, had never been easier when you have a common interest.

The first book on my newly acquired list of books was a light read; Almost Single by Advaita Kala (273 pages). A paperback cover with the right size to fit into my handbag. 

Advaita Kala writes about three friends, in their late twenties, on a quest to finding a suitor without giving up their independence in a culture bound by tradition. Independence here refers to their late nights in a bustling and modern New Delhi.
Aisha, a single 29 years old guest relations manager at New Delhi's five-star Grand Orchid Hotel is haunted by the fact that she doesn't have a love life unlike her coterie of friends; a love-stricken puppy who is always in and out of love, an almost divorced girlfriend and a gay couple who seem to have life in a better order than her or her girlfriends. Another important character, her nagging mom that keeps reminding her of her biological ticking clock and dwindling prospects for marriage proposal (because of her age).

This is a typical chick-flick book but I was intrigued to read it because it was set in India. I may not have any experience being a single woman in Delhi but I found it a little hard to digest their lifestyle. 

It was a little too hollywood for a bollywood story line. I often  forgot that I was reading Almost Single or that I was in Delhi because the scenes and characters described sounded so much like an adaptation from an American scene. To bluntly put it, I felt like I was reading another take on Sex in the City; Aisha being Carrie Bradshaw, Samantha and Miranda played by her other two girl friends.

I stuck to this book because I was intrigued to find out more about a young and handsome New Yorker whom she met through an embarrassing encounter, and also her demanding boss (boss from hell) who was having an affair with someone close to his own wife. Everything else was quite standard for a chick lit.
Why did I grab this book?
Because the first page was very promising and I enjoyed how the author introduced Aisha to me.
Would I recommend it?
It is an easy read, something handy to have in your purse in case you are stuck in a bad traffic or someone is running late and need to kill time.
Goodreads rated it 3.15 but I disagree and would give it less than three because I am a little skeptical of the way the author described life in New Dehli.


Book I am reading at the moment (review coming soon)
The Kabul Beauty School by Deborah Rodriguez
 



Thank you for stopping by at A cuppa for my thoughts

Lets get connected:


2 comments:

  1. I love chic lit. I find I don't have too much time to read but love something that is fun and easy. This sounds like an interesting one. Thanks for sharing. #ConfessionsLinkUp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too struggle finding time to read. It is just so hard with managing kids, house and blogging but I try to read at least a chapter every night before switching off. May take me weeks to finish a book.

      Delete